Packing Light for a Family of Five
Suggestions for packing light:
- Bring small packets of detergent. You can always wash clothing in the sink or tub.
- After washing, wring out water and wrap the clothes in a towel and stomp out excess water.
- Versatile shoes. Two at most. Chances are with kids in tow you are not going out fancy so that one pair of sandals will have to do.
- For women, one black dress for dinners out. Toss a scarf on one night and earrings and a necklace the next. Two totally different looks. Most likely you are not going to the same restaurant two nights in a row so no one will know that you wore that dress the night before except your family. Kids won’t notice or care.
- Try to pack three or four days worth of clothes for the kids. You have detergent.
- One sweatshirt/sweater will be fine. A three year old doesn’t care or notice that they only have one sweatshirt. A teenager doesn’t either.
- If you are staying at a hotel then use their shampoo.
No one cares if you’ve worn the same outfit three of four times while on vacation. Most people won’t even notice you or what you are wearing, nor will you see them again. If you are worried about having the same outfit in pictures, just take it at a different angle. Black pants go a long way.
- One of my favorite links https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/travel-clothing.html
- Having the synthetic nylon and polyester dry quickly which is nice when hand washing and hanging to dry
- Prana one of my favorites and they have awesome sales.
- Try to pack as many kid synthetic clothing. REI has great options, but many of the major sports brands do as well.